Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Moose Hunting (Repost)

Since the deal is finally official, pending Moose passes a physical, I thought I'd repost what I wrote last week. I'm very excited Moose is officially back.
Mike Mussina will be back in Pinstripes! This moves makes a lot of sense. Prior to the signing, the only guarantees in the Yankees rotation were Chien-Ming Wang and Randy Johnson. By bringing Mussina back, the Yanks now have just 2 "open" slots to fill. With the Jaret Wright trade and with Boston getting the rights to Matsuzaka, this was a no-brainer. Moose is still one of the better pitchers out there, and he was available. He was able to change speeds pretty effectively last year and there's no reason to think he can't duplicate that success in 2007.
It was no secret Moose wanted to come back to NY. It was no secret that he wasn't worth $18 million. I'm glad the 2 parties settled on an agreeable price. I'm hoping the Yankees take their Matsuzaka bid and plunk it down on some top-quality SPs. $30 million or so goes along way.
Barry Zito anyone?
J

0 comments: