Wednesday, December 10, 2008

B-E-A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E! Be Agressive. Be-e Agressive

It's being reported by Jerry Crasnick at ESPN that the Yankees have offered A.J. Burnett a guaranteed 5 year deal. What the dilly? The Yankees are not messing around in their relentless pursuit of the top starting pitchers the free agent market has to offer. First, they sign CC Sabathia to a record breaking contract. They reportedly offer Derek Lowe a 4 year deal. Ben Sheets and Andy Pettitte might have offers. And now oft-injured pitcher A.J. Burnett gets a guaranteed 5 year deal. That's right. Guaranteed. The only other team right now that appears to be a major player for A.J. Burnett is Atlanta, and they desperately need him. I'm not sure though that they're willing to go to the lengths that the Yankees are.

I'm a little confused by the aggressive approach. I know that the rotation is in need of a serious upgrade, but I'm looking ahead at the future and I'm wondering what the plans are for Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy. Let's assume for argument's sake, that this is the Yankees rotation come the start of 2009:

  1. CC Sabathia
  2. Chien-Ming Wang
  3. Joba Chamberlain
  4. A.J. Burnett
  5. Derek Lowe

I'm not exactly sure how long the Wanger and Joba are under the Yankees' control, but I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon. And if CC, Burnett, and Lowe are locked up for 7, 5, and 4 years respectively, that doesn't leave any room in the rotation for some years to come. I'm really curious what the plans are for Phil and Ian. I'm wondering if Cashman has something up his sleeve. I really like Hughes but it's starting to look like he's not in the Yankees' plans.

Anybody else out there wondering the same thing?

J-Boogie

0 comments: