Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Case Of Shoddy Journalism?? Me Thinks Yes

I hopped online after "My Name Is Earl" to see if there were any breaking developments in the world of MLB. My home page is set to Yahoo. As soon as it popped up, a headline immediately caught my eye: A-Rod chooses to play for Dominican Republic instead of U.S. I click on the link and the title reads: A-Rod to play for Dominican in WBC. It's not quite the breaking development I was hoping for, but it'll do. It's something. And then I read the article.

In my opinion, the article is a classic POS. Gordon Edes, the author of the article, writes it as if it's fact, when in fact it's based on pure speculation. Edes draws the conclusion that A-Rod is playing for the DR because David Ortiz says he wants to. Edes writes, “He wants to play for the Dominican team,” Ortiz said by telephone Thursday. “We’ll talk about it now after he gets here, and he’ll probably announce it here.” (Alex is playing in a Ortiz'z charity golf tourney this weekend.)

The next paragraph of the article reads:

Ortiz said he has not spoken recently with Rodriguez about his intentions, but that as far back as the All-Star Game last July in New York, he said A-Rod had expressed a desire to play for the Dominican Republic

So A-Rod is playing for the DR because he mentioned to Ortiz that he wanted to back in July, and hasn't reaffirmed that intention with anyone since. Yeah, that definitely sounds like he's playing for the DR! Now I could really care less who Alex plays for in this year's WBC. If he wants to play for the DR and not the US, no problem with me. I won't feel shunned at all. It's not really that big a deal and it's not the point of this post. It's just annoying when sports writers pass gossip and speculation off as fact. Don't know why it annoys me so much, but it does. I'd be totally fine with it if the article and it's headlines were written differently. How hard would it have been to include the word "possibly" as in A-Rod might possibly play for the DR. Would that have been so hard?

If I were a betting man, I'd bet my hard-earned duckets that Alex does end up playing for the DR. I really hope though that he doesn't, just so Edes looks like the douche that I take him to be. This article strikes me more as a vehicle to start some Alex-bashing than anything else.

I'm curious to know if anyone out there thinks I'm the dope here that's totally misreading the article. Please feel free to weigh in with your thoughts.

J-Boogie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not just you.

Go back to 2006. Everyone thought Alex would play for the USA but he wanted to play for the DR. He didn't commit to playing for either and decided to pass on playing all together. Everyone killed him for that and Selig begged him to play for the USA because the WBC needed the star power. He put his own wishes aside for the good of MLB and got killed for flip flopping.

3 years later, he's said nothing, people project what he will do and someone will end up disappointed he didn't do what they want and bash him for it again.

Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing after I read the article last night. I was intrigued until I got to the quote by Ortiz, which was near the very bottom. I'm hoping he left out something else from the article by accident because "6 months ago he said he would be interested in it" does NOT equal "he is going to play for the DR."

J-Boogie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been listening to XM's MLB channel all morning and this "news" has been a hot topic. The bashing has already begun. The one host thinks all Yankee fans should hate A-Rod if he plays for the DR. I don't see what the big deal is if he does decide to.

Anonymous said...

After the Gordon Edes article, there was another one on Yahoo by Jeff Passan that really made me nuts. And that's what I blogged about today. He went on and on about how A-Rod is having an identity crisis, blah blah. Leave the guy alone! So he wants to play for the Dominican team. Maybe. So what? As long as his head is 100% Yankees when the season starts, he can play wherever he wants.

J-Boogie said...

Jane- I saw that article today and we share the same opinion on it. Edes article was a catalyst to another round of A-Rod bashing. All over total speculation. It's ridiculous.