Sunday, December 7, 2008

Vegas Baby! Vegas!

I haven't been around the blogosphere much today but I can guarantee I'm not the only person to use "Vegas Baby" in their blog post. It's just so apropos. So it's the eve of the winter meetings and I ave to say I'm pretty excited. I'm expecting some big things to go down this week. I wouldn't be surprised if all the big name free agents find homes by the time the meetings draw to a close. Unless of course nobody wants to be the first domino to fall. I saw that Peter Gammons was reporting that CC Sabathia is waiting to see what the Angels do with Mark Teixeira. He also reported that Derek Lowe was waiting for Sabathia to set the market. I didn't catch what Teixeira was waiting on but with Scott Boras at the helm, who knows?

Cashman was expected to meet with CC today. I haven't read anything yet about the meeting so who knows what's going down? I think we'll know soon though. I don't think Cashman will wait long if he gets the feeling that CC isn't that interested. At least I hope he doesn't. And quite honestly, I don't think he is. This meeting could be Cashman's chance to sell CC on pitching and living on the east coast. But if CC is really waiting to see what the Angels do with Teixeira, I take that to mean he's not all that high on pitching for the Yankees. Maybe it's just a 2 horse race for CC's services. If the Angels land Teixeira I don't see them having the dough to also sign CC. The problem there is that Teixeira wants to play on the east coast. So here we have Teixeira who wants to play on the east coast and is being coveted by a west coast team. And then we have Sabathia who wants to play on the west coast and is being highly sought after by an east coast team. It looks to me like the ball is in the Angels' court. I'm really curious to see how that all plays out.

This should be an interesting week to say the least. I'm curious to see who'll be the first big guy to sign and when. If I had to guess on a who and when, I'd guess A.J. Burnett will sign with the Braves tomorrow. He seems to be the guy that's on his own agenda and isn't waiting on anybody else. I kind of hope he does sign with the Braves because that will get him off the Yankees radar. I'm starting to come around to the idea of the Yankees signing Ben Sheets, assuming he declines the Brewers offer for arbitration. I think Sheets has better stuff than Burnett and he should come at a lower cost. If he can stay healthy, he's an ace for sure.

I've been waiting all offseason for the hot stove to start roaring. I really have the feeling that this will be the week that we've all been waiting for. Let the games begin.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to Ken Davidoff, Girardi was in the meeting with Cashman and CC. Would love to have been a fly on the wall.

J-Boogie said...

I just read that. It mentioned that Mr. October was there also. That would have been a great meeting to eavesdrop on.