Monday, January 5, 2009

Back To The Daily Grind

Greetings my fellow Yankee fans and readers of the blog. Welcome to 2009. I hope you all had a great holiday season. I know I sure did. I took a rather long and well-deserved vacation from work. I'd been off since December 23rd. Today was my first day back to the grind. And I pretty much hated it. I know a lot of people would be bored out of their minds if they stayed home and did nothing all day. Not this guy. I love just sitting around and doing nothing. Well, I shouldn't say that. I love sitting around and not having to work. If only I could retire. I spent most of my downtime playing Rock Band 2. I don't have the full band game otherwise my wife would probably go crazy from the drumming. Strumming along on the fake guitar, that's OK. Wailing away on the fake drums into the wee hours of the morning? That wouldn't go over quite well. It's still a lot of fun.

I pretty much removed myself from baseball for the last week and a half. I figured there was no better time. Most of baseball shuts down for the last 2 weeks of the year anyway. I checked in online everyday to see what was happening and not much went down. I was excited for the launch of the 24-7 MLB Network. I could probably watch that station all day and all night once baseball season starts. Right now though there seems to be way too much Red Sox programming on. If I have to see the 2004 World Series film one more time I'll probably puke. All in all though, big fan. Two thumbs up.

Tomorrow, or today depending on when you read this, is the Mark Teixeira press conference. I'm still overjoyed that the Yankees pulled that off. I feel more confident about the Yankees chances to win their 27th World Championship this year than I have in quite some time. Everything fell right into place this offseason. The only real question that remains is what will happen with Andy Pettitte. There hasn't been anything substantial reported on Andy lately. Depending on who you read, you get a differing of opinions. Some say Andy's return is inevitable. Some say his return is unlikley. Personally, I like Andy and all, but the time has come to part ways. His glory days are behind him and I think the Yanks are best suited by giving the ball to Phil Hughes and/or Alfredo Aceves. The Yanks should be able to survive with that tandem filling the 5th spot in the rotation. Then again, most people said that last year about Hughes and Ian Kennedy and look where that got us. Though it's unlikely in my book, I suppose it's possible that Andy could have a bounce back season a la my man Mike Mussina. Again, that's unlikely. I think the Yanks should just hold onto their money, thank Andy for the years of service, and tell him they'll see him at Old Timer's Day. I think the roster is pretty good just the way it is right now.

Actually, now that I think about it. There's another question that remains: Which OF is on the outs? Nady, Matsui, Damon, Melky/Gardner, Swisher. 4 guys for 2 spots if you count the DH. I have to think someone will be gone by Opening Day. I'm not sure who I'd deal. Nady's salary is pretty low. Same with Swisher. Damon is in the final year of his deal but is coming off a pretty good season and is our best option for a leadoff hitter. Matsui swings a good stick and hits from the left side and provides good balance to the lineup. Eeenie meenie mynie moe, I choose.....I don't know. If you put me on the spot and demanded an answer, I'd say Swisher or Matsui. So much for making a decision, right? In my eyes, Swisher isn't yet a Yankee, if that makes sense? And I think Matsui's best days are behind him. We'll have to see. Maybe Cashman will stand pat and keep the lot of them. Your guess is as good as mine.

6 weeks until pitchers and catchers report. Baseball will be back before we know it.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

1 comments:

Alex H said...

Boogie, you and me sound like the same person sometimes. I came back yesterday after an entire vacation of doing a whole lotta nothing... yes i was playing Rockband 2...

I took myself out of baseball for over a week and a half outside of watching the MLB network alot... but i did despise the fact that there was too much Red Sox programming on.

How did you like that Don Larsen perfect game special? I thought it was really amazing to watch, and they included all those commercials from back then... just too cool.

Hope you enjoyed your vacation of doing nothing as much as i did, haha... welcome back.