Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Yanks Release ALDS Roster

The Yankees have finalized their postseason roster and there are a few surprises, but nothing major. I blogged a few days ago with what I thought the roster would be. Here's that list:

  • Hitters: Jorge Posada, Mark Teixeira, Robinson Cano, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Nick Swisher, Melky Cabrera, Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui, Brett Gardner, Eric Hinske, Jose Molina, Jerry Hairston, Jr., Francisco Cervelli and Freddy Guzman
  • Pitchers: CC Sabathia, Andy Pettitte, A.J. Burnett, Alfredo Aceves, Phil Coke, Brian Bruney, David Robertson, Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, and Mariano Rivera

Here's the actual roster, those that are bolded were on my roster above.

  • Hitters: Jorge Posada, Mark Teixeira, Robinson Cano, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Nick Swisher, Melky Cabrera, Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui, Brett Gardner, Eric Hinske, Jose Molina, Jerry Hairston, Jr., and Francisco Cervelli
  • Pitchers: CC Sabathia, Andy Pettitte, A.J. Burnett, Alfredo Aceves, Phil Coke, Damaso Marte, Chad Gaudin, David Robertson, Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, and Mariano Rivera

I had Freddy Guzman and Brian Bruney on my roster. The Yankees went with Chad Gaudin and Damaso Marte. The Yankees obviously felt there would be an added benefit to bringing along 8 RPs instead of 7, which is the reason for Guzman's exclusion. I'm not sure I agree with that line of thinking but I have no problem with it. The Yankees will only play back-to-back games twice. There's a day off in between games 1 and 2, games 2 and 3, and games 4 and 5. There's plenty of time-off for the bullpen arms to recuperate. I'm not sure they need 8 RPs. I think Guzman could bring more to the table as a pinch runner off the bench. I can only assume that the Yanks felt there wouldn't be a need for that. I hope there isn't.

I can understand why they picked Marte and left Brian Bruney off the roster for this round. The Twins have a lot of lefties in their lineup and it makes a lot of sense to have a 2nd lefty in the bullpen. I get that. I don't get though why they're bringing Chad Gaudin along. If the Yankees advance past Minnesota they're likely going to need a 4th starter, with that starter being either Chad Gaudin or Joba Chamberlain. I thought they'd pick the one they wanted to start and send them to Tampa to get work in so their arm stayed strong. I thought the other would be in the bullpen for the duration of the playoffs. I'm not a fan of using them sporadically, if at all, and then having them start again. If CC, A.J., or Andy don't go deep into the game, Aceves or Joba can take the ball. With Gaudin on the roster they now have 3 long-men and I don't see why that's needed in a 5-game series played over 8 days. But what do I know? I can see Gaudin not seeing any action. If that's the case, and I think odds are good that it will be, than why not bring Guzman along as a threat off the bench? It makes me wonder what the Yankees' exact game plan is. I wonder why they feel the need to have both Gaudin and Joba on the roster.

First pitch is a little more than 7 hours from now. I'm pretty geeked up. I think it's very important that the Yankees win game 1. Besides being in the driver's seat, it'll take a lot of the wind out of the Twins' sails. CC is making his 1st postseason start in Pinstripes. He hasn't fared well in his past postseason outings. I'm expecting big things from the big man, starting with a shut down performance in game 1. The last thing I want to see is another postseason falter. I think we all don't want to see that. I'm hoping to get tickets to game 2. I have a ticket to game 5 but I really don't want that game to be played. I want them to win in 3 and not be in a position to play an elimination game.

October baseball. How can you not love it?

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: