Friday, May 21, 2010

Javy Vazquez Pitches 6 Shutout Innings In 2-1 Yankees Victory

Greetings friends. It's been a while since I've blogged. It seems like it's been forever. I've been so far removed from the Yankees it's not even funny. I pretty much missed 95% of the last 4 games. I caught a little of the action but not enough. My wife and I were watching a little bit of the Yankees/Mets game tonight and she was asking me questions about Yankee-related things. Usually I'm quick with the answers. Tonight I found myself not having a clue. Things should get a little better next week. I foresee myself having the opportunity to watch many of the games and blogging afterwards. At least I'm going to try. It's tough to blog that late when I have to get up at 5am.

What happened to the Yankees pitching? They've allowed 40 runs in their last 5 games. It's hard to believe that the Yanks scored 6 runs in each of their last 3 games and lost them all. That's not very Yankee-like. Both Joba and Mariano had meltdowns. As I'm typing this, Mo is having another meltdown. Back-to-back doubles by Bay and Davis and it's now a 2-1 game. David Wright just grounded out to end it. Thank God Wright is scuffling. The Yanks may have picked up the W and snapped the little 3 game slide but it was definitely a shaky outing for Mo. I did hear that his meltdown against Boston had a little to do with some shoddy defense. But still, Mo usually picks the guys up. The pitching has been a little suspect lately. Except of course for Javy Vazquez if you can believe that.

Javy looked pretty good tonight. I'm cautiously optimistic about his start though. My buddy Don sent me a text during the game and the text read, "of course he has a no hitter, he's an NL pitcher facing an NL team!" It's definitely food for thought. Vazquez hasn't exactly done anything to earn anyone's respect this year. I'm not putting a lot of stock in this outing, even with it being a 1-hitter over 6 innings. He did look pretty good though. I'm hoping it's a sign of things to come. Again, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Not much offense for the Yanks tonight. But they did after score 47 runs over their last 7 games so no worries. Mark Teixeira though? Dude, when you going to start hitting? Tex is hitting .209 after tonight's ohfer. It looks like he had a nice little run a few games back. He had 4 multi-hit games in a 5 game span which rose his average from .195 to .224. But he's 1-16 over the last 4 games. I'm kind of shocked that his average is as low as it is considering they're a quarter of the way through the season. I knew he'd start slow, but thought for sure he'd be around .250.260 by now. I just took a look at his stats from last year at this time. Tes was hitting .250 on 5/21/09 and was up to .281 by the end of May. He was only hitting .203 on 5/14 last year which was actually 6 percentage points behind his average this year on 5/14. Hopefully history repeats itself and a Tex hit-streak starts soon.

Not sure how much of this weekend's action I'll get to see. It's tough to bail on my little ones for the Yanks when I barely see them during the week. But it is a night game so I should be able to catch most of it. I really want to see tomorrow's game. Hughes vs. Pelfrey. That has the makings of a great game. Hopefully Hughes will run the record to 6-0, and "Huuuuughes" will add another U to the name.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.