Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Just One Of Those Games

Yesterday was just one of those games where the other team is locked in and there isn't much you can do about it. The O's pretty much knocked around everything the Yankees threw at them. Moose got shelled. Robertson got shellacked. Farnsworth got hit. It was the O's night for sure. Not much the Yanks could have done. But it's not all bad. Both the Sox and the Rays lost, so we lost no ground in the standings. So we're still 3 back of the Rays, and 2 behind Boston. We're still the team to beat.

You knew right from the get-go that it wasn't Moose's night. Moose's control has been outstanding all year. A leadoff walk is very unlink Mike. He barely escaped damage in the 1st when he got Aubrey Huff looking. Moose pitched more like Sidney Ponson last night, allowing lots and lots of baserunners. No amount of run support would have bailed him out. The O's hit him hard and hit him often. 8 hits in 5 innings of work, 5 for extra bases. But like I said, the O's hitters were locked in. It was just one of those games.

Since the game was a blowout, I didn't pay much attention to most of it. Having been away for a few days, i had a lot to catch up on, mainly sleep. Cooperstown is very exhausting. I ate very little and slept all of about 10 hours combined the 3 nights I was there, 12 hours tops. I ended up crashing before the game ended which is why there was no post yesterday. The wrong kind of game happened at the right time all things considered.

Hopefully tonight will be better. Seems like we might be engaging in a slingshot. I don't like our odds on paper. Rasner is shaky and the Yanks always struggle with Daniel Cabrera. Despite the 2 straight losses, the Yanks are still one of the hottest teams in baseball. Things will be a little tougher without Jorge Posada, who is having season ending surgery. I applaud the move. I thought for sure he'd be stupid and try to play at the end of the year, pushing back his start date next year. They can get by without him this year. Next year is a question mark.

Finally, my buddy Jeff said he should be able to change by Phil Hughes, err, I mean Damaso Marte batting jersey, into a Mike Mussina jersey. Remove the 4, sew on a 5, good to go. I'm not sure what to make of Phil's number switching. If he opts for something other than 65, it'll be his 3rd # in less than 2 years, which to me, seems pretty weird. I was a big Hughes guy and this flip-flopping is kind of annoying, and right now I'm a little turned off by it. It's not a big deal, but his stock has dipped slightly in my book. Whatev.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: