Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Yanks Win Twice Today And They Only Played Once

Due to meetings/work, I missed pretty much all of today's Yanks game. I heard very few bits and pieces, but what I heard sounded good to me. Back-to-back bombs by Bobby and Alex. Yeah, it was that kind of day. They busted out the whooping sticks. Gotta love it. Sounds like Joba threw another gem. He's going to be larger than life. I can feel it.

I left work early because my buddy and I were going to a concert. Before the show (Sam Roberts Band if you were wondering), we stopped for some pizza/wings and adult beverages at a local pizzeria/bar. If you can believe this, today was the 1st day in 2008 that I had an alcoholic beverage. Yeah, not a big drinker. But I will throw a few back, or in today's case 3 beers and 2 shots of tequila, if I feel like it. And today I did. Mainly because right when we got there, I noticed on the Yankee post game show that Kyle Farnsworth was sent packing for Pudge Rodriguez. If that's not a reason to celebrate I don't know what is. Huge trade for the Yankees. Huge. And in my opinion, Cashman again comes out the winner. He's 2 for 2 in my book. The Yankee have a plethora of relievers that can take care of business and be that bridge to Mariano. K-Farns was expendable. Very expendable. The Yankees desperately needed a catcher. Jose Mo may be able to gun down 1/2 the base stealers, but he isn't hitting worth a lick. I mentioned yesterday that the bottom of the Yankees order was incredibly weak: Melky, Betemit, Molina/Moeller. Pudge's bat in the Yankee lineup will work quite nicely. Pudge is a career 300 hitter with a .295 average so far this year. At 36, he doesn't have the pop he once did, but the average in itself is much better than anything the Yanks had in house. And his arm is a plus as well. For his career he's gunned down 47% of base stealers, though this year it's down slightly, at 36%, which is 3rd in MLB for qualified players. Nice. He's also got 13 career Gold Gloves. Can you say upgrade? Yeah, I thought you could. Having 2 catchers with great arms is going to work nicely for a team like the Yanks. Teams ran all over the Yanks last year and this year when Jorgie was behind the dish. Consider those days over. Big fan of the deal. Big fan.

Tomorrow brings the Angels to town, fresh off another sweep of the soon-to-be Mannyless BoSox. The Angels swept them both at home and on the road. Hey Dirty (water), baby I got yo number. The Angels are far and away the league's best team and they've always played well against the Yanks. I believe this stat is still true: the Angels are the only team with a winning record against the Yankees when Joe Torre was the Yankee manager. But one of their strengths is the running game. See previous paragraph. The Yanks will fare better than the Sox. No doubt.

Bye bye Kyle. Bye bye Kyle. Bye bye Kyle. We hate to see you go.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: