Monday, November 30, 2009

Derek Jeter = 2009 SI SOY

First off, I'll get the formalities out of the way. I hope you all had a great holiday. Nothing beats some extra days off from work, right? Again, hope you all had a good little break. I know I did. Now on to business.....

Derek Jeter was named the 2009 Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year today. I may be a little biased in my opinion of DJ but I think he's a very deserving recipient of this year's award. Derek had quite the year. Here's a quick recap:

  1. Won the World Series
  2. Became all-time Yankees hit leader
  3. Won his 4th Gold Glove
  4. Won his 4th Silver Slugger
  5. Selected to his 10th All-star team
  6. Finished 3rd in AL MVP vote
  7. Won the AL Hank Aaron award (best hitter in league)
  8. Won the Roberto Clements award (for on and off the field achievements)

Terry McDonnell, SI Group Editor, said this of Jeter, "Derek Jeter has always presented himself with class; he does numerous good works for the community with his Turn 2 Foundation, which is one of the most efficient, effective foundations of its kind; and he's extremely generous with not just his money but with his time, which in many cases is more valuable. He also had another signature year on the field."

I can't argue with any of that. I wouldn't think anybody could but there are a lot of Yankee/Jeter haters out there. If any of you happen to read this, I'd love to know why Derek is so hated, so lay it on me. I'd love to know because I just don't see it. And again, I may be biased as a Yankee/Jeter fan, but I'd like to think if I weren't I'd still like him. He plays the game the right way. He gets it, both on the field and off. I'm glad I'm a fan of his because he's a guy I want to root for.

Congrats Derek. The honor of being the 2009 SI SOY is well deserved.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: