Friday, November 13, 2009

Silver Slugging It

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that Derek Jeter and Mark Teixeira won the Silver Slugger Award for their respective positions in 2009. It's hard to argue that either one was not the best offensive player at their position.

You could probably make a case that Teixeira wasn't the best offensive first baseman, but I wouldn't be on your side. Tex lead the league in HRs (39) and RBI (122). That alone makes picking someone else tough to do. His OPS (.948) was 2nd to only Kevin Youkilis (.961). Had Youk played a full year maybe this discussion would be different, but he didn't, so I wouldn't think anyone would have an issue with Tex winning.

I don't think anyone can make a case for Jeter not winning the award. He led all AL shortstops in average (.334), OBP (.406), hits (212) runs scored (107), and HR (18). His OPS (.879) was 2nd to only Jason Bartlett (.879). Bartlett had a good year, no doubt, but I wouldn't put it up there with Jeter's numbers. Like Youkilis, Bartlett suffered from having missed time in 2009. I think you could have made a case for him winning had he played more. Now that I think about it, Bartlett probably could have won.

Both Jeter and Tex have now each won 2 postseason awards (Gold Glove & Silver Slugger). Both should also be in the running for the AL MVP award, which will be awarded on Monday 11/23. Personally, I don't think either will/should win. I think Joe Mauer has it in the bag. I'd be shocked if Mauer didn't win, but when it comes to the BBWAA, you never know. I'm more interested to see who finishes higher, Jeter or Tex? My money is on Tex, but I can see it going either way. If you're anti-Mauer and want to try and convince me that someone else should win, lay it on me.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: