Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Rock Bottom

The Yanks dug themselves quite the hole tonight. Down 7 after the top of the 1st. Considering they haven't been able to come back from a deficit larger than 2 runs this year, I didn't see them coming back. I'm not even sure there was a reason to watch the game after the 1st but I stuck with it. I did flip to American Idol for like 2 seconds. I watched maybe 10 minutes of it all year. Not a big fan. That little pipsqueak David Archawhatever bugs me.

You can hang this loss on Derek Jeter. There's no excuse for that high throw to Giambi. That was the typical routine grounder and he botched it. So a 1-0 game quickly turns into a 7-0 game, an insurmountable deficit for an anemic offense. Horrible play. I guess Cano wasn't at the bag for the easy flip, but still, you have to make that throw. It was routine. Moose has to pick the team up after a play like that. Walking the next batter isn't what a pitcher of Moose's talent should do. I thought there were some questionable calls there by the home plate ump, but what can you do? That's baseball. It does seem though that Moose gets squeezed more than anybody else. I'm not sure if it was Michael Kay or Ken Singleton that remarked that tonight's home plate ump is known to be inconsistent. I heard that and I knew Moose wasn't even for a good night. Never did I imagine him getting chased before getting 3 outs. But like I said, hang that on the Captain. He has to make that play.

Speaking of El Captain, it was great to see him ground into a DP after Damon's leadoff single in the 1st. That's how the ball has been bouncing. And of course, as soon as Alex comes back, Jeter gets beaned on the wrist and leaves the game. The Baseball Gods hate the Yankees right now.

Speaking of bad bounces, Johnny Damon butchered a fly ball, a ball that what would have been the 3rd out of the 2nd inning. 9-0 O's after 2. 8 unearned runs. You knew it was going to be one of those nights.

It was nice to see A-Rod go yard in his 1st game back. Too bad the game was long over when it happened. The offense was again pitiful. What's new?

This game could very well be rock bottom. Can it get any worse than this? I don't think so. That only means one thing. They can only go up from here. This could be a very embarrassing loss. It could be the kind of loss that kicks their collective asses into gear. I really hoped they'd get blown out and they did. Hopefully tomorrow starts the slingshot. Coincidentally, the first time we talked about the slingshot here at B and The BD, it was after a 12-2 loss to the Orioles back in August 2006. Could this be history repeating? Knock on wood.

Keep the faith. There's still time.

J-Boogie

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

J-boogie! The font is to small on the comments link how will Phil see that huh? "Wild thing you make my hear sing" Red/Leo