Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Wang's Good But Lee's Great, Tribe Shutout Yanks 3-0

On most nights we'd be walking away from tonight's game hailing the praises of Chien-Ming Wang. 7 innings, 5 hits, 3 BB, 3 K, 3 ER. Not a bad pitching line. On most nights it would probably be good enough to win. But the Yankees offense couldn't muster anything against Cliff Lee, so Wang gets knocked with his 1st loss of the season. Wang pitched a pretty decent ball game. The only negative thing I can say about his outing was that he struggled a little bit with his control. 2 of the 3 runs Wang gave up came in innings when he issued a free pass. But like I said earlier, on most nights, Wang would have picked up a W. Tonight was all about Cliff Lee. He was flat out dominant. The Yankees just couldn't get anything going. They had a chance in the 5th and 6th innings but Lee was just too good. Lee did to Wang what Wang did to CC Sabathia. What goes around comes around.

I don't know if I can say anything negative about the Yankees offense tonight. They faced a great pitcher in Lee and I have to give credit where credit is due. Lee pitched a great game. He came into the game with an ERA of 0.96 and lowered it to 0.81. Wow! Lee is locked in and nobody has been able to touch him all year. He's yet to give up an earned run in any of his 4 road starts (30.2 IPs). He's on a whole different level right now. Locked and loaded. Not much the boys could have done tonight.

K-Farns had another nice outing. He's quickly becoming the reliable guy that the Yankees have expected him to be. Give him time to mess it up though. I'm still not sold on him, but I'm getting there.

I just realized it's a day game tomorrow. That blows. I know I have at least 1 afternoon meeting scheduled tomorrow so I'll no doubt miss a lot of the action. My boy Moose is on the mind and he's finally matched up against someone closer to his level. Mussina's last 3 outings have all been pretty solid and the team needs another good one from him if they want to get back to .500 before heading in the road. The team has been very streaky lately, winning a few in a row, losing a few in a row, and staying around .500. It could be worse especially when you take into account the injuries and the ineffectiveness of Hughes and Kennedy. 17-18. Not the best record out there but I'll take it. For now.

Go get 'em Moose.

J-Boogie

0 comments: