Saturday, May 24, 2008

Yanks Offense Continues To Roll, Yanks Win 12-6

Is it me or did today's Yankees game have a lot of similarities to yesterday's Yankees game? Maybe the pitching wasn't as good but the offense was just as popping. The result? A 12-6 victory. The Yanks have now won 4 straight and a win tomorrow would put them back at the .500 mark.

Everything would seem to indicate the Yankees offense has worked through their issues. 35 runs in 4 games. That will move you up the stats ladder real quick. This is what we've been waiting for. This is what the team is capable of. It's good to finally see it on a somewhat consistent basis. Cano and Giambi again had huge days at the plate. Cano was a perfect 4 for 4 and Giambi racked up 3 hits and was a triple shy of the cycle. Both have been super hot lately raising their averages into the .230 range. Despite a 4 for 4 day, Giambi still has Cano beat by 2 percentage points. I never thought I'd be saying that this far into the season. For the second game in a row, every starter had at least 1 hit with the exception of Derek Jeter. I'll take it. You can tell these guys are on because a lot of balls are being hit to the opposite field. Am I the only one noticing that?

As I blogged yesterday, as long as Moose could make it thru 5 with the lead, he'd probably be in line to pick up the W. Moose wasn't sharp by any means but he doesn't have to be if the offense can keep doing what they've been doing. I love seeing Moose win ballgames and climb a little bit higher up the career wins ladder. If you've read this blog before you may have caught that I'm a card-carrying member of the Mike Mussina fan club. Moose is definitely won of my favorite pitchers. I love his approach to the game and I love watching him pitch. He's struggled a little bit over the last 2 seasons but I still think he's got what is needed to win ball games. I really hope he gets the call to the Hall when the time comes. He's deserving.

Joba pitched alright in his second "let's stretch him out to be a starter" outing. I wasn't overly impressed with his control. Joba has had recent control issues. He's walked 6 in his last 7 innings. He can make up for it by striking hitters out but it's not a good sign. As he integrates more pitches into his repertoire he'll only get wilder. While I agree he should be a starter, I still think the timing is wrong. I would have left him in the pen all season, but who am I? I don't think he'll encounter the same success as a starter that he's had as a reliever. But we'll see.

The Yanks look to win their 5th straight tomorrow and who better to have on the mound than Chien-Ming Wang. He's matched up Jarrod Washburn, yet another left-handed pitcher. It seems like every pitcher the Yankees face is a lefty. The Yankees have a league high 542 ABs against LHPs. Compare that to the Red Sox who are 12th in the AL with 291 ABs against LHPs. Washburn has had pretty good success against the Yanks in his career. He's 5-5 lifetime against the Yanks win an ERA of 2.52. He's having a pretty bad year. JW is 2-6 with an ERA just under 7. The Yanks are only hitting .242 as a team against lefties this year. But confidence has to be at a high based on the recent offensive explosion. I don't really know what to expect. All I know is Wang is on the hill and he's the ace. Offense or no offense, the Yanks should be in the ball game.

The A's just finished 1-hitting the Red Sox. 1 game under .500. 5.5 back. Things could be worse.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: