Wednesday, August 19, 2009

CC Snaps The "Losing Streak" As Yanks Beat A's 7-2

As I knew I would, I stayed up way later than I wanted to last night watching the Yanks/A's game. I made it through the Yankees half of the 6th. Like the night before, I saw all that there was to see in terms of the scoring. I'm glad I didn't miss much.

CC was on point yesterday. I was a little surprised that he gave up 2 HRs in that giant ballpark. I didn't see that coming. Outside of the 2 bombs, CC pretty much had the game on lockdown. He has great control (70% of pitches were strikes) and his stuff was working. The win moves CC's record to an impressive 14-7, which ties him with Josh Beckett and Adam Wainwright for the most in the majors. I can't wait for Sunday's showdown in Fenway when CC and Beckett matchup. That should be another epic Yankees/Sox battle. Prediction? i'm not touching it but I think you'd know what I'd say if I didn't believe in jinxes.

Derek Jeter is in the zone. He's now had 3 straight 3-hit games, 4 straight multi-hit games, and has 7 multi-hit games in his last 9 games, one of which he left after 1 AB. The Captain is having a monster August. Jeter is hitting .377 (29-for-77) with 4 HR this month. It's hard to believe his August is going better than his July. Jeter hit .357 for the month of July. He's having an MVP-caliber year that's for sure. He'll get some consideration and could make a push for it if he keeps this pace up. It'll be an interesting vote. Teixeira will no doubt get some love and I wouldn't be surprised if A-Rod gets a vote or two. The team was after all 13-15 before he came off the DL. It's not a coincidence that the team took off once Alex returned. Alex may not be putting up the MVP numbers, but he's definitely one of the league's most valuable players.

I have no idea what to expect tonight from Chad Gaudin. I'm kind of expecting him to tank but I would love to see him pull a Brett Tomko and pitch well against one of his former ballclubs. This game will wrap up this west coast string and then it's off to Boston. The Yanks currently have a 7 game lead on their rivals. If the Yankees go .500 the rest of the way, they'll end up with 96 wins. I think that's a given. For the Red Sox to win 96 games, they'll have to go 29-15 to close out the season. It's not impossible, but it's unlikely. Sweeping them this weekend would all but end their chances of winning the East and the Sox deathwatch will officially start.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: