Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Check 1, 2 And Ya Don't Stop

Tonight was softball night. The game started late and by the time it ended (we on 9-5) the Yankee game was in the top of the 6th, 2 out, runners on 2nd and 3rd. I got to hear Clemens get out #3 in the car on the way to the bar. Based on Sterling and Waldmyn's recap of his performance, it sounded like he battled his way through the start. 6 IPs, 9 hits, 1 BB and 1 run. That's called getting in and out of trouble. Too bad the Yankees didn't give him any run support. Clemens has to wonder why no matter where he goes, the runs just aren't there. It's one of life's greatest mysteries.
I got out of the car before the Yankees batted in their half of the 6th. I expected to see them hitting when I walked in, but they had already gone down 1-2-3. Considering the walk from the car to the bar probably took 3 minutes, I was amazed at how quickly they went down. And then they flashed the box score. 2 hits?? What gives? The Yankees again got stymied by Shawn Marcum. Again I ask, what gives?
I only stuck around the bar for an inning and boy was it a great inning. The flood gates opened and the good guys scored 4 runs to take the lead. Poor Roger. Now I don't want to take credit for their bats waking up tonight. they did after all only get their hits and runs when I was either watching the game or listening to them hit on the radio. But come on. We all know the truth. It was no coincidence.
Despite the victory, and despite gaining another game on Cleveland AND Boston, I'm still pretty ticked at the bullpen. These guys are doing everything within their power to give these games away. Proctor relieves Clemens and quickly loads the bases. Bruney and Villone each walk a batter. And worst of all, they had to use Mo for 5 outs to nail it down. Brian Cashman needs to put his focus on finding solid relievers. We don't need a first baseman as bad as we need guys that can get outs and get the ball to Mo. Improvements are definitely needed.
The Yanks are looking good. 6 back in the loss column against Boston. 5 back in the loss column behind Cleveland and Seattle. Making up that ground is very doable. Wang gets the call tomorrow. If there's a guy that can keep things going it's Chien-Ming. Let's do it to it.
Don't forget to read my previous post. I need your advice. Peace out.
J

0 comments: