Tuesday, July 24, 2007

What A Long Strange Trip It's Been

If you follow this blog on a regular basis, you may remember my post from the other day where I asked for advice about how I should spend my day today. Drive 1.5 hours to Toronto to see the Twins take on the Jays, or drive 4.5 hours to Scranton to see Phil Hughes pitch. It was pretty unanimous that Scranton was my destination.
I left Buffalo a little after 10am, got to my friend Don's house in Syracuse at about 12:30. We basically hopped right int he car and headed for Scranton. About 30 miles south of Syracuse, it started raining. It's now 3:30am and the rain hasn't stopped yet. Long story short, they called the game at 8:30, I didn't see Phil pitch, and I drove about 10 hours round trip for a whole lotta nothing. It wasn't an entire waste of a day though. We did stop at Sheetz twice. The first stop I got a Roast Beef and Swiss sandwich where the bread was a gourmet pretzel and a side of garlic fries. The second stop I downed a 6-inch Steak and Cheese sub with all sorts of fixins. If you've never eaten food at a Sheetz gas station, try to find one and go there. You won't be disappointed. Jacob over at Mile High Yankees agrees.
Almost forgot. After the game we waited around for Phil to leave. There were about 40-50 people there waiting. About an hour after the game was called, which is now 9:30pm, he left PNC Field, and signed for everyone waiting. So I picked up a signed Phil Hughes ball on the sweet spot. Not bad. At least I walked away with something, though I would have much rather seen him pitch.
And now it's 3:30am, and I'm off for some much needed sleep. Go Yankees!
J

0 comments: