Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Let's Make A Deal

They're reporting on the MLB station on XM that the Yankees want to enter into mid-season contract talks with Alex Rodriguez, in an effort to lock him in as opposed to letting him walk. I think it's a smart move. A-Rod is without a doubt the best player in the game and the Yankees can't really afford to lose the only right-handed power bat in the lineup. That can't easily be replaced.
I'm not sure how actively they're pursuing resolution to these talks, or if they've even started. I would have to think that if it looks like things aren't going the Yankees' way, that they may just try to trade Alex prior to the end of the month. Maybe they'll find out Alex's true intent on opting out, and maybe they can broker a deal if they find he wants to go. You know there is interest out there. If they believe he wants to opt out, try to deal him. It would really stink (I want to use another word but the content filter would nail me) to lose A-Rod and get absolutely nothing from his departure.
I've got my fingers crossed that he stays in the Bronx.
J

0 comments: