Monday, July 2, 2007

Somebody Pinch Me

OK. I've pinched myself. I've rubbed my eyes. I've slapped myself across the face, not once, not twice, but thrice. The Yankees actually won a ball game. To quote Yankee legend Phil Rizzuto, "Holy cow!" Incidentally, I just won an autographed Phil Rizzuto ball on Ebay. Unfortunately, I don't see the Scooter signing anything in person anytime soon.
I have to start with the man on the mound. You've got to give it up to Roger Clemens. Congratulations on win #350. I was really pulling for a CG, but a win is a win and I, along with Yankee fans everywhere, will take it. Put it in the win column. Clemens looked pretty sharp from start to finish. He retired the last 15 batters he faced. Awesome. And it's just what the doctor ordered. Hopefully, the doctor orders up quite a few more of those. It would be nice to head into the break with at least a .500 record.
A-Rod has a strained left hammy. Not good. But strains typically don't end up with a guy going on the DL. Hopefully, he's OK and only misses minimal time, if any at all. While on the subject of A-Rod, I've got to give it up to his wife Cynthia for her ever so appropriate wardrobe choice. For those not familiar with the story, Mrs. Rod wore a white tank top to her husband's game on Sunday afternoon. Printed across the back was the popular phrase "F*** You." That's classy. What makes it even classier is that she had their 2 year old daughter in tow. Oh but wait, that's not all. Their seats were located in the players' family section. The keyword being family. What a class act.
The Yankee offense finally scored some runs. Again, I had to pinch myself because I thought I was dreaming when Abreu hit a shot DEEP into the upper deck in right. To quote my alcoholic Uncle Herbert, "man that was a mighty fine shot." He's not really an alcoholic. He's not even my uncle. In fact, I don't know anyone named Herbert. It's fun to pretend. Scott Proctor likes to pretend he can pitch. I like to pretend I have an alcoholic uncle named Herbert.
It looks like we finally have a guy to hit in the 3-hole. If anyone should hit there, it should be Jeter. But knowing Torre and how he operates, Abreu will probably be hitting there tomorrow.
Matsui needs to pull his head out of his rear end. I'd use the actual word but my name isn't Cynthia Rodriguez. Godzilla ain't Godzilla no mo. Somebody wake the man up already.
3 games under .500. 6 games left to the ASB. 3 against the Twins. 3 against those pesky Angels.
Yeah, I'm not feeling a .500 record at the midway point.
J

0 comments: