Monday, July 9, 2007

The Return Is Near

Phil Hughes made his first rehab start today with the Tampa Yankees. His line:
2 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
Not bad for a first start back. Looks like he might have had a little control issues but I doubt it's of any concern. That's what rehab starts are for, working out the kinks. I think I can speak for Yankees' fans everywhere when I say that I can't wait for Phil to return to the rotation. The Yankees need a stable 5th starter. I'm pretty tired of watching the revolving door that's been one subpar outing after another. My only fear is that Cashman is going to go out and get another arm for the back of the rotation. Clemens, Pettitte, Mussina and Wang aren't going anywhere. I say leave the 5th spot for Phil and go out and overhaul the bullpen. Or maybe even get a backup catcher or another right handed power bat. I think it'll be a big mistake to go after a starter.
Welcome back to baseball Phil. Glad to see ya.
Am I the only one that is thoroughly bored by the HR Derby? You think ESPN would have learned by now that the derby will never end in 2 hours. I love how they heavily promoted "The Bronx Is Burning" for a 10pm start time. I'd be surprised if the derby ends before 11pm. It seldom does.
J

0 comments: