Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Yankees Rolling

Forgive me for not writing many Yankees posts lately, but to be honest, I haven't seen that many games since last Thursday. I had the wedding stuff all last weekend. I had the lost day in Scranton on Monday. I saw most of last night's game and tonight I had softball, so I again missed most of the game. But from what I've seen and heard, things are going very, very well.
The offense is finally clicking on all cylinders, well, for the most part. Johnny Damon is still hit or miss. He's not the Johnny Damon we need, especially as a table setter. Luckily, everyone else is picking up the slack. Cano is knocking on the door of 300. Matusi is absolutely mashing. Abreu is taking care of business. Andy Phillips is still hitting over .300. Jeter, A-Rod and Jorge are well, Jeter, A-Rod and Jorge. A-Rod has the MVP locked up. Give him the award now. Might as well get it over with. I'm not sold on this Shelley Duncan kid. I think he's getting lucky and he's a poor man's Kevin Maas. I think his stock is going to plummet and I think it'll happen soon. I'm not a fan. I'd love to be wrong.
The pitching has been pretty solid. I've been extremely impressed with Jose Vizcaino. I guess I can no longer call him "Vizcaycrappy," and that makes me Vizcay-happy. He's been lights out for the last 2 months or so. Mo has been great. Everything seems to be working.
I was on the fence about what I wanted to see happen in the Sox/Indians series. I was hoping for a Tribe sweep, but as soon as they lost, I was kind of pulling for a Sox sweep and only being 2.5 behind the Tribe for the wild card. A guy I worked with wanted to see the teams split the series and maybe we'd pick up 2 on each. I can live with that, but my main desire was to get the Yankees on top of the wild card heap. That's not to say I don't want them to take the East. I'd love nothing more. But right now I just want them to get over on those teams in front of them, and we can just worry about winning and taking care of things on are own as opposed to getting help. Regardless, the Yankees are finally back into the thick of things. There's a lot of baseball left.
I'm not going to be able to post until sometime Sunday night. I'm heading to Cooperstown in the morning for Induction Weekend. I drive down, spend 3 nights in the car, and bust my hump trying to get a lot of free autographs. It's tough work and there's a lot of standing around, but I think it's fun. I'm working on getting signed balls from all the living HOFers. I need 27 of them. It's so much better to get them for free (obviously). the only way to do that is to put in the time. Last year, I came home with a total of 18 signed balls (give or take 1 or 2). This year, I'd love to do the same, but I'm not expecting to. The only one 1 I know I'll get for sure is Duke Snider, but only because I'm dropping the cash on him. I pay for those that are the oldest living members. Wish me luck!
Peace, love and Pinstripes!
J

0 comments: