Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Wang Picks Up Win #50 Behind Late-Inning Longballs

I hate games that start later in the evening. West coast games are absolutely brutal. My 8-month old son likes to wake up at 6am and the last thing I need to be doing at midnight is watching baseball and blogging about it. I love to sleep and I can usually function on 6 hours or so but really prefer to sleep as long as possible. But I'm a trooper and I'm always in it for the long haul.

Chien-Ming Wang wasn't his typical self but he pitched well enough to pick up his 50th career win. Wang wasn't anywhere near dominating but he pitched his way into and out of many jams. He threw a lot of pitches and I don't think I've ever seen him get to so many 3 ball counts, or 2 strike counts for that matter. He kept the team in the game and the team rewarded him by picking up the runs at just the right time. He left the game in the hole and a Bobby Abreu grand slam put him in line for the W.

Damon had a heck of a game at the plate. He's now 5 for his last 9 with 5 runs scored, 5 RBI, and 2 longballs. When Johnny succeeds at the plate, the team always seems to fare well. This could be start of good things from JD.

The Captain scuffled tonight. 0-5. Ouch. I thought for sure he'd deliver with the bases juiced in the 7th and the team down a run. If there was ever a Jeter moment it was then. Had there been 2 down I'm sure he would have come through with a hit. Thankfully Bobby Abreu picked Jeter up by hitting a grand salami. That was huge! Timely hits are starting to happen. Good times.

I about threw the remote through the TV when Traber and Bruney issues back-to-back walks to open up the 7th. If there's one thing I can't stand it's relievers that issue walks. Control problems have plagued Bruney his entire career. He started out so well. No walks in his first 3 games and 6 walks in his last 6. The one game he didn't walk someone he gave up 2 HRs to the Rays. It's not a good trend. But I still prefer him to Farnsworth or Hawkins.

The ineffectiveness of Traber and Bruney forced Girardi to bring in Joba in the 7th inning. I know there really are no "Joba Rules" this year but I prefer him in the 1 inning outings, and only pitching in the close ones. I was surprised he came out for the 8th after the Yankees picked up 3 insurance runs on Damon's HR. I would have turned it over to Farnsworth and/or Hawkins and saved Joba for another day, but I'm not the manager for a reason. I wonder if Girardi thinks he might need some mop-up work tomorrow with Moose pitching and that's why he continued with Joba. Maybe he was saving the scrubs just in case moose doesn't go deep into tomorrow's game.

Farnsworth blows. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

With the win the Yankees move to 11-10. I'm very pleased with that record all things considered. It should be worse. A lot worse. With the inconsistent pitching and lack of timely hitting they should probably be, I don't know, 6-15 maybe? Considering they've only played 9 games at home and have pretty much been on the road since the second week of the season I'm real happy with their current slot in the standings. They've weathered the storms so far and they've come out of it pretty well. 11-10. I'll take it.

Congrats again to the Wanger for picking up career win #50. He's the youngest to 50 since Doc Gooden reached it in 1986. It's late. Don't quote me on the year. I think it's right but the brain starts powering down at midnight and the clock just struck 12.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: