Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Weighing In On Tonight's Yankees Loss

I've got to make this short and sweet because I am absolutely exhausted. 6am comes early and I ran a total of 15.5 miles today in an attempt to win a weight loss contest, a la "The Biggest Loser." It's a 12-week contest that ends Monday and I'm currently in 2nd place about 3 pounds behind the leader. By my estimate I have to drop 7-8 lbs. this week to have a shot. I'm busting my hump to get there. When the contest started I tipped the scales at an even 200. I'm about 5'11 and I was by no means big but had some weight to lose. I was already planning to try and get in better shape once Spring Training started so the timing was perfect. As of now I weigh about 160 and figure I need to get to 154 to win. I'm busting my tail running before work, at lunch, and after work in an attempt to get there. I admittedly am now skinnier than I want to be, but I've come so far and there are only 5 days left so why not go for it. Gotta leave it all on the table.

Tonight's game was blah. Phil Hughes again struggled. He has yet to put together a great outing. I was amazed when they flashed the stat that he leads the league in the lowest average innings pitched of all starters with 3.2. He went 3.2 tonight so at least he's consistent if nothing else. But right from the get go you could tell it wasn't going to be his night. When he walked Curtis Granderson to leadoff the game I cringed. Granderson is not the guy you want to walk. Hughes didn't get any help from Johnny Damon either on Magglio's bloop single. Damon has to have the worst arm in the league and the Tigers wisely exploited it. I'm not sure what the issue is with Hughes this year. He's not the pitcher we saw last year. I can see glimpses of him but then the bottom drops out and he's out of the game before it even started. I know he's young. I know there will be growing pains. But you have to wonder if he needs a little more time spent in the minors. If only the Yankees had another arm to call on. If he and Ian Kennedy continue to struggle, I wouldn't be surprised if something happens on the trade front. those 2 are killing the bullpen Speaking of the bullpen.....

Another great outing by the pen tonight. That's really the only bright spot. Over the last 2 games, the bullpen has thrown 9.1 innings, allowing 0 runs on 4 hits with 1 BB and 10 K. That's pretty darn good. Ross Ohlendorf was awesome tonight. He came in and stopped the bleeding which allowed the Yankees to keep it close, even though they fell short of coming back to tie the game. Speaking of the offense.....

The offense was horrendous tonight. Their inability to hit with runners in scoring position is mind boggling. Even without A-Rod and Jorge, this lineup is too good to strand 13 guys on base. they left 2 on in the 1st. They left the bases loaded in the 3rd and the 8th. They had their chances and failed again, as they've done way too often this year. One of these days they'll put it together.

So much for short and sweet.

J-Boogie

0 comments: