Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Yankee Deathwatch 2008

One more loss and we're officially done. Maybe not mathematically, but in my mind. I've been saying this for a week or so now, maybe more, and I'm sorry to beat a dead horse, but I think the winner of the AL wild card will end up with 94 wins. Right now, the Red Sox and Rays are in a virtual tie for 1st place in the AL East. The runner-up will most likely win the wild card. The Rays are currently on pace to win 97 games. The Red Sox are on target for 96. To end with 94 wins, the Sox have to go 9-10 the rest of the way. The Rays have to go 9-11. To end with 94 wins, the Yanks now have to win all of their 18 remaining games. While it's highly unlikely, it's still technically possible. Hey I can still dream, can't I? When they lose their next game, it won't be, and that's when I officially pronounce them dead on arrival. The Sox and/or Rays would need to collapse, more so than playing a shade under 500. Doubtful.

I fell asleep in the 3rd inning yesterday, right before the Angels jumped ahead 2-1. I woke up, checked the scores and lo and behold the Yankees lost 12-1. A scan of the box score pretty much confirmed what I expected to see: utter and complete all-around crapiness by the Yanks. 6 hits? They had 4 when I fell asleep. Typical Yankee offense. I was a little surprised to see that Edwar got rocked, but then again, not really. The Angels own him. In 3 games against the Angles this year, our boy Edwar has pitched 1.2 innings, allowing 9 hits, 3 walks, and 12 runs, 11 of which are earned. That works out to an ERA of 59.28. Way to go Edwar! In his brief 2 year major league career, the Angels have scored 15 runs off Edwar in 5 innings pitched. They're hitting .536 against him as a team. That's sticking it to the team that cut you before you even made it to the bigs. Way to show 'em! You proved them wrong for sure.

I also found out this morning that I missed a bench clearing "fight." Figures the one time I go to sleep, I miss all the excitement. I made sure to DVR the replay so I can see it for myself, but it sounds like a big to do about nothing. A misunderstanding is what I'm hearing/reading. Either way, at least the team got charged up about something. I guess that's good, right?

So the deathwatch is officially on. It's a matter of hours, maybe days, before I officially close the door on their playoff chances. Again, I know there's no way it's going to happen. I'm just mathematically writing them off when they lose their 69th game. Tonight marks the major league debut of Alredo Aceves as a starter. As of right now, that's probably the only reason to stay up and watch a 10:05 game.

That and to see if they can cheat death for maybe one more day.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: