Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Yanks Beat Angels At Their Own Game

I just remembered that today's game is at 3:30. I'm psyched because I'll actually get to follow it. The 1st half on the radio, the 2nd half on TV. I think it would be a huge confidence booster if the Yanks can leave Anaheim with a win. They've struggled there mightily and taking a series there might be the spark that turns that tide. The Angels have been a thorn in the Yankees' side for a long time. It's time to flip the script. A win today is big. The Yanks could very well head back to Anaheim for the ALCS.

Since I didn't see any of last night's game I only have the box score to base any opinions on. I see they blew a 5-run lead and one it with a little small ball. Single, stolen base, sac bunt, sac fly, Mariano for 3. Yanks win. Take that Angels. You got beat at your own game.

Chad Gaudin's line doesn't look too bad. I wouldn't call it a great performance but it certainly wasn't bad. It looks like his pitch count got up there which is probably why he got yanked before the 5th. That and it looked like he was starting to struggle. I still like Gaudin as the team's 4th starter in the playoffs. I have absolutely no confidence in Joba right now. I prefer Aceves to both but i don't think they can stretch him out in time. I'd be fine with them using Ace as a precursor to Phil and Mariano. I don't think it would be a bad idea to use Gaudin as the 4th starter and bring in Joba if needed to pitch in the middle innings. If Joba wants that spot, he needs to earn it and he'll only do that if he pitches better. He's pitching his way right out of the rotation and right now, I say good riddance. He needs to earn his way back into my good graces. Good luck with that.

As expected, the team didn't celebrate after last night's playoff-clinching win. Kudos to them for that. That's a rookie move in my book. They're in the driver's seat for the division. Holding back the party for when that's clinched is a smart move. Hopefully, that happens at home this weekend against Boston. The magic # is 6. If everything goes to plan (Yanks win today and Sox lose today/tomorrow), it'll be 3 come Friday. I'll be happy if it's 4 or less. A magic # of 4 would mean that the Yanks would clinch the division if they take 2 of 3 at home versus Boston, which is a distinct possibility with CC and Pettitte getting 2 of the starts. The Yanks would really need to collapse to lose the division. They have 10 games left and are 5 up in the loss column. If they go .500 the rest of the way, the Sox would have to win out. Crazier things have happened, but this won't be one of them. One the division/HFA is wrapped up, the team should focus on getting ready for the postseason and their series with either the Twins or the Tigers. Give some guys some rest. Set up the rotation. The sooner that happens, the better.

It's the home stretch. Seems like just yesterday the season started, doesn't it? It's hard to believe October is almost here.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: