Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Pettitte Near Pefrect In 5-1 Victory Over Orioles

Ok, my lunch break has been cut short this week and I've got 12 minutes left to write this post. Here goes:

Andy Pettitte was absolutely awesome last night. As I mentioned yesterday, he's been kicking some serious ass since the ASB. He's been the Yankees best second-half pitcher in my estimation. His outing yesterday solidified that. It's hard to believe that prior to the season, I was speaking out against Andy's return. I am happily eating crow. I think the main reason Andy has been so successful this year is because he's healthy and isn't having any arm problems. He's rock solid. He was almost perfect yesterday and if not for a defensive miscue by Jerry Hariston, he might have been. A friend of mine was complaining that A-Rod didn't play and would have made that play. Maybe so, but would he have made the bare-handed scoop that Hairston made earlier. Probably, but we'll never know. You can't really play the what-if game. Hairston made a big blunder and it cost Andy the perfecto, but it didn't do any damage. The Yanks won and that's all that matters. I don't think any member of the Yankees, except for maybe Hairston, has a problem with his error. Quickly back to Pettitte. He had everything working yesterday. Impeccable control, throwing 70% of his pitches for strikes and walking none. He was consistently ahead of hitters and quite frankly, they didn't stand a chance. He was dealing.

5 minutes left. The offense didn't hammer Guthrie like I thought they would. They made him throw a lot of pitches, but never really bombarded him like they have in the past. They had their chances, going 3-for-14 with RISP. Swisher had the big day, going 3-4 and was a triple short of the cycle.

A.J. Burnett goes tonight and he needs a W. A.j. is winless in his last 6 starts, losing 4 of them. He's been very inconsistent. I hope he finds a way to get back on track. I'm curious to see if they switch things up and have Molina catch him. I doubt it, but it wouldn't shock me.

Under a minute to spare.....yay me!

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: