Saturday, April 7, 2007

Giam-BOO-no

It's a good thing I was out partaking in the consumption of alcohol last night as it served as a distraction from another Yankee loss. The game was on the TV in the bar so I was watching it as much as I could while not ignoring my fellow co-workers. I didn't do a good job as much of my attention was focused on the big screen. I caught the first 7 frames on TV and listened to the last 2 on the ride home. It was a crappy ride.
It looked like Moose was having trouble locating his pitches. It's definitely wasn't the outing he was hoping for. Not a good start his season.
It looked like the Yankees had plenty of opportunities to break the game open, or at least negate the ineffectiveness of Moose. Every time I looked up the Yanks had runner on the bags with less than 2 outs, and every time that big hit didn't materialize. I totally called it in the 7th when A-Rod struck out with Jeter and Abreu on base. I said to my friend Dan that A-Rod was going to come up with 2 on, no out, and he'd K. And sure enough, he disappointed. I was interested to see if anyone booed him. I was also curious if Giambi, Cano, Melky, Matsui, and Jeter were booed as they all, at times, failed to deliver with 2 men on. Somebody let me know. If anybody is deserving of the jeers, it's Giambi. 0-5 w/ a 1 out bases loaded pop out to second and a 1 out K with 2 on in the 7th. He left 5 on base. He can't do that.
The saving grace from last night was the bullpen returning to form. Sean Henn led the way with 3 innings of 1-hit ball. This is what the Yankees need if they want to stay in games when the starters are ineffective. The pen did their job. The offense failed to pick up Moose.
Igawa makes his ML debut today. I'm going to catch the first 2 innings or so on the tube and the rest I'll catch on the radio as I drive to the 'Cuse to do the Easter thing. I expect big things from Kei. For starters, I expect him to be the first Yankee starter to at least make it through 5. Man, who would have thought that the first 3 games would have shown such ineffectiveness from Pavs, Andy and the Moose? Definitely not this Yankee fan. It's no cause for concern. There's no way that this kind of ineffectiveness is going to continue from the rotation. I'm sure Sox fans think it will, but let me remind you of Schilling's first start. He was just as ineffective as Moose was. Schilling and Moose have very similar stats over their careers and are off to pretty much the same start in 2007. You can't rightfully say one will be fine and the other won't, regardless of which side you root for in the greatest rivalry in all of sports. The fact of the matter is that both are great pitchers and deserve the credit unless they begin to consistently show different. One start doesn't a season make.
It looks like it's going to be another cold one today. The weather has already postponed a doubleheader in Cleveland. The high in the Bronx is going to be in the low-mid 40s today. Should be interesting to see how Igawa does in the cold weather. Not ideal, but Baltimore has to pitch in it to.
Enjoy the game and Happy Easter!
J

0 comments: