Thursday, April 19, 2007

Oh No He Didn't

Oh yes he did! Holy freakin' freeholy. A-Rod: It's your world bro. We just live in it.
I hate day games for the sole fact that I can't devote my undivided attention to the game. Sometimes, I'm lucky enough that I have no meetings scheduled and I can listen to it in it's entirety. Today wasn't one of those days. I had my first meeting at 2:00. It was scheduled for an hour. I usually listen to the games on my XM Radio, and lucky for me it's the MyFi, so it's portable. Whenever there's a day game and I have to leave my desk, I take it with me for the sole purpose of looking at the score. All I get is the score, the inning, and the number of outs. When I left for the meeting, I think the score was 0-0 Yankees heading into the bottom of the 3rd. Right before the meeting started, literally like 10 seconds before, I saw the score change to Yankees 1-0. I threw the fist up in the air and went, "Yesssss." My boss asked why I did that and I told her the Yankees went up 1-0. She's a Sox fan. The meeting started so I slid the radio into the pocket of the track jacket I was wearing. I tried to pull it out every few minutes or so, but I wasn't having much luck. I did notice that the Tribe tied it up, and it bummed me out. Lucky for me the meeting ended early, so I had time to listen to the game at my desk before the next meeting. That 20 minutes was pretty uneventful.
My 2nd meeting was at 3pm. This was a video conference with my boss's boss's boss's boss. There were about 20 of us and 1 of him. The numbers were in my favor so I figured I could easily stay on top of the game by sliding the radio in and out of my pocket. I saw the score go to 2-1 Yankees. I was happy. I saw the Red Sox come back to beat the Jays. I was bummed. I then saw the Tribe jumped out to a 5-2 lead. I was even more bummed. i saw the game move to the bottom of the 8th. The meeting ended. I went back to the desk, hooked up the radio and pulled up Yahoo's gamecast to see the box score. Giambi went deep. Nice. A-Rod and Jeter were both 0-4. Not so nice. Vizcaino got knocked around. ****. The Tribe just picked up another run. It's not the Yankees day. Or so I thought.
I had one of my peeps roll up to my desk to give me some feedback on a newbie. 2 outs and Phelps homered. Nice stat-padder. Way to go Phelpsie. So we're continuing our conversation and I hear Posada single, then Damon walk. The tying run's at the plate in the form of then Captain. My attention slowly starts to divert away from my peep and to John Sterling's call of the game. Jeter singles. Down by 2. Here's Bobbbbbby. Another single. Down a run. I've now totally engulfed myself in the game and we're both listening intently. Wild pitch, winning run is on second. I am now sitting Indian-style in my chair I'm so excited. And then it happened. "Swung on and....driven to deep center. It is high. It is far. It is GONE!" I jumped up out of the chair, slapped Steve a few times on his man-*****, then dropped to the ground slapping the floor as if they were bongos. I jumped up, all excited, went over to a fellow supervisor, put my hands on his shoulders and exclaimed "Yankees won baby." His reply was "It's only April. How can you be this excited?" I think the real question there was how could I not be? I gave him a quick play-by-play of the rally, and he was like, "But it's April." He's a Braves fan. Good luck with that. I basically was so amped up I couldn't work. I promptly shut off my PC, packed up my gear, and left the building.
As I'm driving home, the cell begins to vibrate and it's the missus. As much as I don't want to answer because I listening to the post game show, I do and she greets me with a "That's it. You can't go to work when the Yankees play day games because they lost!" I replied with, "What the heck are you talking about? A-Rod hit a 3-run HR to win the game!" She was of course beside herself because she had looked online before she left work and the Yankee games usually aren't on terrestrial radio in these parts when there are day games. Lucky for her, it was the point of the post-game show where they play all the highlights. I cranked up the sound and let her listen to Sterling's call. It just made me more amped to get home and watch the replay (which I've yet to do). Bah dah bah bah bah. I'm lovin' it!
I wonder where all the A-Rod haters are now. If my man had a MySpace page, you know he went from like 7 friends to over 100,000 in the span of a day. Bandwagon jumpers. You've got to love 'em. Wait, no you don't.
Looks like the Yankee shirt gets another day! Bring on the BoSox!
J

0 comments: