Friday, April 13, 2007

West Coast Boogaloo

Thank God it's Friday. The work week is winding down and nothing makes me happier. I felt like utter dookie last night. All day at work I had this throbbing headache that settled in my right eye. I get them every now on then, but this one put me on my keester. I hit the wrapper last night at 9pm and didn't wake up 'til almost 7 this morning. I didn't eat dinner. I just flopped out on the couch and zoned in and out for a few hours and then finally crawled into bed. It was the perfect night for an off day because I definitely wouldn't have made it for a west coast game. I'm feeling much better and I'm looking forward to watching the Yanks kick some tail tonight in Oakland.
I'm most interested in seeing how Igawa bounces back from hist less than stellar first start. I didn't think he pitched poorly the first time around. He definitely wasn't as bad as his line indicated. He had a few ball fours that could have been strike threes, and I still can't knock him for Melvin Mora's 3-run double that dropped in between Cano, Mientkiewicz and Abreu. Kei needs to be effective with the off-speed stuff. I don't remember the exact stat but I want to say he only got like 3 of 28 off-speed pitches over for strikes against the O's. He's definitely not going to last long if he has to live on the fastball. If he can get the curve over, like he did in spring training, he'll fare much, much better.
Dan Haren is on the hill for the A's tonight and he always seems to give the Yankee bats fits. It's weird that Haren is 0-2 this year with a 0.69 ERA. He's getting no run support from his lineup and when you face the Yankees, you need all the run support you can get. Right now the A's are getting great pitching with sub-par offensive production. The Yanks are getting great offensive production with average pitching. It should be a good series.
Good news today was Wang and Karstens appear to be close to returning. Both are slated for returns in a few weeks. It'll be good to get the band back together in its intended lineup. Knock on wood.
J-Boogie

0 comments: