Saturday, April 21, 2007

Yankees Lose, I'm Not Disappointed

The Yankees dropped another one to the Sox. This one doesn't bother me though. The Yanks held their own against Beckett, who I'm sorry, but this guy is not a favorite to win the Cy young award. He has good stuff, no doubt about it, but I wouldn't classify his outing as dominant. He was at time sharp, but for the most part, he was hittable. Beckett's start to this season is almost identical to his start last season. And we all know he didn't exactly have the greatest end to a season last year. He'll fade. I have no doubts.
Karsty didn't have it today, but we kind of new he'd struggle. I don't think the Red Sox rocked him necessarily, but he definitely wasn't on his game. Maybe there's a rite pf passage that all Yankee starters in their debut have to pitch poorly in their first outing. It was nice to see the bullpen do its thing. That's exactly what the Yankees need when the starter falters. Shut the opponent down and give the offense the opportunity to get the Yanks back into the ball game. They did their job. They held the Sox scoreless and the Yankee offense made a run at it, but fell a little short.
A-Rod didn't go yard but he did extend the hit streak and racked up another extra-base hit with his double. I was so hoping to see Papelbon vs. A-Rodacus. That would have been some crazy drama. These games always seem to come down to Alex. I thought this one would also. You knew going into this game that the Yankee offense was going to struggle. No Damon and no Posada. I'm sorry but Kevin Thompson and Wil Nieves don't exactly strike fear in opposing pitchers, especially those of with Beckett's skills. I was surprised that Thomspon raked a double off Beckett, but it's sad when you know that a guy will strike out looking before the at-bat starts. Wil Nieves has to be the slowest person on the planet. I think I could have beat out his little nubber in front of the plate. And i thought Mike Piazza looked weird when he ran. Wow. Sox fans shouldn't get too excited about this win. No Posada. No Damon. No Matsui. 1/3 of the Yankee lineup was out, and it still racked up 9 hits and 5 runs off Beckett. There is no doubt in my mind that if you throw in those 3 and take out Melky, Nieves and Thompson that this game ends much differently. But that's baseball. Injuries happen.
I expect things to be much different next week when this series moves to the Bronx and the "band is back together." Hopefully by the end of the next Sox series, we have everybody back that was projected to be on the Opening Day roster, except of course for Pavano. 8-8 isn't bad all things considered. The Yankees have been far worse off in seasons past and they always make their way to the top of the standings when it matters. It's April folks. We're 16 games into the season. There's no cause for alarm, even if we get swept this weekend.
The Yanks get their first look at Dice-K tomorrow. I'm pretty sure Damon will be back in the lineup. I only hope Posada joins him. We'll need a full arsenal against him, especially with Chase Wright on the hill. I have a lot of confidence in Wright. But it's Sunday Night Baseball. It's Sox/Yankees. It's not going to be easy. But it will be fun to watch.
Peace, love and Pinstripes.
J

0 comments: