Sunday, April 22, 2007

Silly Sox Logic (Again...Imagine That)

Disclaimer: This may not be my most coherent or most intelligent post I've ever written, I'm sitting down to write this entry while watching the "I Love New York" reunion show on VH1. I can literally feel my brain cells dying with each passing second. Yet, I can't turn the channel. I can't believe I'm watching this.
I've been spending some time this weekend over at Sox And Pinstripes, going toe-to-toe with the Sox fans as round 1 of the greatest rivalry in sports gets underway. If you want hop over and help mix things up, I'm sure Jeff and Vince won't mind. One thing I've learned throughout the years is that Sox fans and Yankee fans see things much, much differently. I've addressed it several times here since this blog started. Here is an excerpt from one of Jeff's Red Sox posts:
"Yankees fans seem to think that the return of Chien-Ming Wang and Mike Mussina will translate into consistent victories. Even if they fully regain their health - and maintain it - as Joe Buck pointed out today, they are not pitchers who eat innings. The Yankees bullpen is already showing signs of wear and tear. What condition will the bullpen be in by the All-Star break? Wang, Mussina, Pettitte, Igawa and Pavano is far from a reliable rotation. The Yankees bullpen will need its' own set of relievers by August."
For starters, who quotes Joe Buck? I don't know anyone that thinks he and Tim McCarver are knowledgeable and worth listening to. Secondly, they're not pitchers who eat innings? Excuse me? Wang had the 5th highest innings pitched total last year in the AL with 218 innings pitched, averaging 6.6 innings pitched per start. Mussina ranked 22nd, coming in with 197.1 IPs, averaging 6.16 innings per start. Let's compare them to Beckett and Schilling, shall we? Beckett ranked 14th with 204.2 IP, 6.20 IP per start. Schilling ranked 18th with 204 innings pitched, 6.58 innings per start. Considering that Schilling and Beckett are the Sox horses, I guess following Jeff's logic, the Sox bullpen will be breaking down sometime before the end of the season. Sox fans use a different dictionary than the rest of the world. We've already established that Mike Mussina isn't "very hittable." We've already established that the Yankee rotation isn't "mediocre." And now we've established that Wang and Mussina do in fact, pitch deep into ball games. If they don't, I guess nobody does. Even Johan Santana didn't average 7 full innings per start in 2006. A healthy Wang and Mussina will consistently pitch deep into ball games. Take it to the bank.
I'm at a loss for words. This show has totally drained my brain power. It's like dealing with most, but not all, Sox fans.
J

0 comments: