Monday, April 2, 2007

Off To A Good Start

Nothing beats Opening Day. The Yankees won. The Red Sox lost (Schilling looked horrible-nice). All is right with the world. I took the day off from work to watch the opener. Unfortunately if you work where I work and do what I do, you never really have the day off from work. You end up doing something, which of course I did, which is sad b/c I don't have what I would call an important job. But there isn't a TV in front of me at work so I can't complain too much. I was psyched to see that my cable provider launched the YES Network in HD yesterday. Games are so much better in HD.
It was touching to see Cory Lidle's wife and son throw out the first pitch. I thought it was a class move by the Yankees. And was I the only one getting goosebumps when they were doing player introductions? I love this time of year.
I think Pavano pitched OK. It wasn't by any means a bad start and I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as his line would indicate. He was the victim of a few errors that might have changed his fortunes but that's how the game goes. Like I said a few days ago, if CP can pitch like he did in 2005, he'll easily win 15 games. If Randy Johnson can win 17 games with a 5 ERA, CP can win just as many if he can keep the ERA down. The runs came late today so he had a no-decision. I'll take it. This is one of the most prolific offenses ever assembled. It can make up for sub-par pitching.
The bats were out today. Two hits a-piece for Giambi, Abreu, A-Rod and Posada. A-Rod's dinger in the 8th was nice to see. I thought it was a well-deserved curtain call considering all he's endured. He's primed to have a monster year. This offense is going to put up some crazy numbers. 1000 runs easy if everyone stays healthy. As we saw today, even if the pitching is less than stellar, the offense can pick up the slack. I know they say that pitching and defense wins championships, but with a lineup like the Bombers, you can get by with giving up 5 runs and making 3 errors.
The Yankee bullpen looked awesome. 3 hits in 4 and 2/3. The bullpen gets my game ball. They shut the Rays down the second half of the game and that allowed the offense to take over. This bullpen excites me. How awesome was it to see Mo K the side to close it out. I can't wait to get me one of these. Every Yankee fan will want one.
Elijah Dukes is a monster. I've seen him a few times when Durham came through down. He's a big boy. I picked him up in a fantasy league before the game started when I saw he was slated to start in CF. I needed a back-up. Nice pick-up.
Gil Meche was worth every penny. That game was awesome.
Pettitte gets the ball Wednesday. That should be an awesome game. Unfortunately, I can't take that day off. I'd like to see his return to the Bronx. Thank God for XM.
I love Opening Day. Peace, love and Pinstripes
J-Boogie

0 comments: