Sunday, June 22, 2008

Andy Pettitte Is The Streak Stopper

As I mentioned in my closing yesterday, no better guy you want tossing for the Yanks after a loss than Andy Pettitte. With today's W, Andy is now 75-37 when pitching after a Yankee loss. For those of you that are mathematically challenged, Andy basically wins 2 out of every 3 starts when pitching after a loss. I'll take those odds any day of the weak. Andy Pettitte is a streak stopper. No doubt about it. Andy was masterful today throwing 6 innings of shutout ball. Since getting bombed for 10 runs against the Royals, Andy has been lights out. Check out these numbers: 3 starts, 3-0, 21 IP, 14 H, 4 BB, 19 K, 1 ER = 0.43 ERA. Andy has always been a much better pitcher in the 2nd half of the season. Looks like the 2nd half has started a little early.

Edwar Ramirez pitched an impressive 7th inning. Edwar has surprised me this year. I didn't think in a million years he would have lasted this long on the big league roster. He's earned his spot in my book. I'm also of the opinion that he should be trusted by Girardi to pitch in close games, which I think is the case. He looks good.

As anyone surprised that of all the Yankee pitchers, it was Kyle Farnsworth that gave up the run. How does a pitcher with an ERA of 4.24, a WHIP of 1.47, and an opponents' batting average over .300 qualify as the set-up man? K-Farns is the last guy I want pitching in the 8th inning? In 33 games, he's now given up 10 HR and allowed runs in 12 games. Allowing runs in 36% of your games is not a characteristic I want from the 8th inning guy. I'm continually shocked when he gets trucked out their to pitch in the close games. Kyle has been brutal since he's donned the Pinstripes. Absolutely brutal. He's done nothing to earn that spot and it's going to end up costing us, I can feel it. I'm not sure what the extent of the injury he sustained today is but you won't hear me grumble if he misses some time.

The mustachioed marvel that is Jason Giambi busted out of his slump in a big way today. It's a good sign when Giambi hits to the opposite field. We haven't seen that from the Big G at all in recent years, but he's been picking it up this year. The Giambi of old is in the house. I love it.

The Yanks are off tomorrow and then it's off to Pittsburgh. The Yanks are 7-2 in this 15 game interleague stretch. Considering that the teams they're facing are below average, anything less than 10-5 is a letdown. They very easily could have swept the Reds. They ran into the NL's best pitcher and a guy they've never faced before. Point is, they're playing a lot better baseball than they were. No way you can count them out. Enjoy the off day.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: