Monday, June 9, 2008

Yanks Drop Back To 500 And so The Dance Begins Again

Here we go again. They just can't turn the corner. Maybe it's time to call this team what they are: average. Until they show me otherwise, I have no reason to think otherwise. They're exhibiting all the signs of an average team. They just can't get over the hump.

I must apologize for taking the day off from my blogging duties yesterday. I just didn't feel like blogging. It happens.

I was so pulling for a Moose victory today. He definitely pitched well enough to earn his 10th win of the season. Moose has definitely reinvented himself as a pitcher. He pretty much cruised through his outing today. His lone mistake was the pitch he made to Miguel Olivo. Other than that he was pretty much flawless. I was exchanging e-mails with my buddy Dan during the game and we were impressed with how economical Moose is with his pitches. His final pitch count for 8 full innings was 89, 1 pitch over 11 per inning. I really hope Hughes, Joba, and Ian Kennedy paid close attention because that's how you do it. Moose is definitely a new man out there on the hill. If he keeps throwing the way he is I'd have to think the Yankees might take a 2nd look at bringing him back. I know it's a long shot but next year's rotation is shaping up to be a pretty young one (Hughes, Joba, Kennedy, Wang and ???). I think there'd be some value in having a guy like Moose in the clubhouse with these young kids. He definitely has a lot to offer.

The Royals had Mo's number this series. No reason to be concerned about Mo. He'll be fine. Jose Guillen absolutely owned the Yankees. I'm a little shocked Mo gave up 2 longballs in 3 games. I doubt it had anything to do with pitching 3 straight games. Like I said, he'll be fine.

The Yankees offense continues to puzzle me. They're better than they were a few short months ago but are still too inconsistent for my liking. I was really encouraged when they picked up Moose in the 7th. I really thought they were going to do the same for Mo, but they fell 90 feet short. I thought the Baseball Gods were on our side when Moeller got hit, but Melky quickly squashed that feeling. Too bad it wasn't Johnny Damon.

I'm not sure how many of you listen to games on the radio but it's a whole different experience hearing the action as opposed to seeing it. It definitely is a lot more suspenseful and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. When Melky grounded out to end the game I couldn't help but have a glimmer of hope that he'd beat it out and I'd doubt I'd have felt that way had I been watching it on TV. I'm not a big fan of John Sterling but he definitely does a good job of holding your attention. If you haven't listened to game in a while, I suggest you give it a try. It's a whole different experience.

The Yanks now head to Oakland squared up at 500. When the Yanks head out west, my blogging usually suffers b/c I can't stay up that late. I try, but usually head for bad after 6 innings. I get the feeling that they'll win two or lose two, and then win two or lose two in Houston, only to return home stuck at 500. It could be a lot worse. They are only 6 back in the loss column. We're 64 games into the season and the opening day lineup has played together 3 times I think. Considering how they're playing and all they've gone through, I'll take it.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: