Friday, June 20, 2008

Winning Streak Snapped At 7

Alas, all good things must come to an end. Tonight the Yanks had their 7 game winning snapped. Moose pitched real well. Unfortunately, Edison Volquez pitched better. No matter how good your offense is, great pitching will beat you most of the time. Volquez is arguably the best pitcher in the game right now. Moose had to be almost perfect tonight and he was good, real good, but not good enough.

As a Yankee fan, you have to be extremely pleased with Moose's outing. 8 strong innings. In my opinion, he pitched much better than his pitching line suggests. If not for a lost ball in the lights, this could be a totally different post. Moose didn't make many mistakes tonight. It only takes one. And I think that mistake was intentionally walking Jay Bruce. That move totally made no sense to me. I know Bruce is the next big thing, but with 2 outs, you've got to let Moose go after that. You know that call came from the bench too. Horrible call by Girardi. moose is on his way to the Hall Of Fame. Bruce may be a great hitter, but you've got to have confidence in Moose's ability to get him out. Ridiculous call by the bench. Moose deserved better than that.

Girardi made a few questionable calls tonight. I like the aggressive approach, especially against a guy like Volquez, but I hate seeing them run themselves out of scoring chances. I know nothing about Paul Bako. Perhaps the scouting report on him says you've got a good chance at stealing a base, I don't know? Whatever it says, it didn't work tonight. I wasn't a fan of Jeter's attempt in the 1st inning. With 2 outs, maybe. But in the 1st inning? I would've waited. Let Abreu take a swing.

Not a whole heck of a lot to talk about with the offense. Cano had 2 hits. It looks like he's coming out of his season long slump. He's shown signs of this before so I'm not too excited. Giambi seems to be in a mini-slump. I think he got hosed on a few strike calls but that's baseball. Know your umpire. Talk about a pitcher-friendly strike zone. Wow.

Dan Giese gets the start tomorrow in place of Chien-Ming Wang. I'm not sure what to expect. All I know is I wish the Wanger were pitching. I'll feel a little better about Wang being out so long if Giese shows up. My fingers are crossed.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: