Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Here's A Shocker

I just got home from softball "practice." Yup, it's that time of year again. It wasn't really a practice as there were only 6 of us. It was more or less I'll pitch, you hit, and somebody shags flies. Pretty boring stuff. Who needs to practice for co-ed bar league softball anyway?
So after I showered and then devoured a double stacked Subway Club sub (hey practice was tough, get off my back),I hopped on over to Pete Abraham's blog (man, I wish I were a beat writer) to see if there was anything new. And there is, and this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.
"Carl Pavano felt something in his right arm during his bullpen and shut it down after a few minutes."
No way. I don't buy it. Carl Pavano hurt? Impossible. I'll assume you all picked up on the sarcasm. What's wrong with this guy? I can totally see Carl parlaying this into being out for the season and then blaming it on the recently fired strength coach. And I'll bet the vast majority of Yankees fans feel the same way. There is absolutely no trust there. I saw we cut our losses while we can. Do you think it's possible that on the flight back to the Bronx CP goes missing and ends up in say Tupelo (now that was random)? Kind of like lost luggage, except in this case, no one would come to claim him. Dare to dream.
If they need to shut CP down, which is probably the case, this only makes matters worse for an already horrible situation. The rotation is basically Wang, Mussina, Pettitte, and Igawa. I haven't heard or seen anything about who is filling in. I'm not excited about any internal prospects. I think Tyler Clippard could handle it, but do we really want to see another 22 year old rushed to the bigs? Not with the way things are going. No chance.
I think Cashman needs to start looking outside of the organization for a durable starter, unless of course the Yankees want to mail this season in, because as it stands now, this rotation isn't going to get us to October. I've already made my suggestion about looking at Jon Lieber. I like him because he's already shown he can handle the Bronx and he's a horse. We need a guy that can throw deep into games, and that's Lieber. He's the first guy that comes to mind.
I'm hoping they get this game in tonight. I really don't want to have to miss game 1 of a doubleheader if it's tomorrow afternoon. Rain rain go away. And take Carl with you.
J

0 comments: