Saturday, May 5, 2007

Will The Real Kei Igawa Please Stand Up?

I'd like to say I'm surprised by yesterday's 15-11 loss to the Mariners, but I'm not. Much of the game was what we've seen all year long. Mix in some great hitting with some crappy pitching and what do you get? If you said a Yankees loss, you get a gold star. Send me your address and I'll drop it in the mail.
Kei Igawa was again horrible. He's now had 6 starts and in my estimation he's had 3 good starts and 3 really bad starts. I really have no idea what to expect from him when he pitches. Talk about inconsistency. He was just flat out awful. In typical Yankees fashion, he didn't even last 5 innings.
When Igawa left the game, I still thought the Yanks were okay. But then Colter Bean came in and made sure they weren't. Have fun on the bus ride back to Scranton, or preferably Trenton. Bean put on a clinic last night: How Not To Pitch Like A Major Leaguer. Lucky for Bean, it featured guest speaker Jose Vizcaycrapo. Talk about a guy who "fell down the ladder." Vizcay when from set-up to mop-up pretty quickly. It's evident Torre has no faith in him to get the job done anymore. I don't think anyone does at this point. If you do, let me know, and I'll mail you some Ritalin because you obviously need help paying attention.
After that brutal 8-run inning, I was a little worried about Torre's management of the bullpen since both Farnsworth and Rivera were unavailable. I've got to credit Mike Myers for taking one for the team and throwing a full 4 innings. And he didn't pitch too poorly either. So big up to Mike Myers. The team needed that.
When the Yankees score 11 runs, they shouldn't lose. When the Yankees get 16 hits and 6 walks, they shouldn't lose. The offense definitely slugged their way to a win last night. The rotation just couldn't hold it down. Igawa got spotted to a 5-run lead. Seattle came back, the offense answered. Seattle came back again, the offense again answered. It was good to see Damon and Abreu break out of their slumps. The Yankees definitely need that on the regular if they need to slug their way to a win. It's hard to believe that Jeter was the only one left out of the hit party. I never thought I'd see him go 0-for-6. He had his shot to keep the 9th inning rally going, but his groundout on the first pitch quickly ended that. I'm not sure why he swung on the first pitch? The A-Rodacus homerless game streak has now reached 9 straight games. Buy if we wants to keep going 2-for-5 with 3 RBI, I won't complain. But come on Alex, get that swing back. Chicks dig the longball.
Things look much better today. Chien-Ming Wang gets the ball against American League punching bag Jeff Weaver. Now that I said that, Weaver will probably pull a Julian Tavarez and pitch a gem, so if it happens, it's my fault. If it does, I'll give you my address and you can mail me a beatdown.
Peace, love and Pinstripes.
J

0 comments: