Monday, June 4, 2007

Two Out Of Three Works For Me

The Red Sox threw their big 3 at the Yankees yesterday and in the end, good triumphed over evil. The Yankees got to the ace of the Sox staff. I do have to tip my cap to Beckett for lasting as long as he did. I for sure thought he was done after 5 but he held his own. I originally thought Beckett was going to eventually relapse into his former self but I've since realized that's likely not going to happen. That made knocking him around all the sweeter. And then there's set-up man extraordinaire Hideki Okajima. First blown save. And finally, the great Jonathan Papelbon. 2 outs, 2 strikes, the world's most hated villain Alex Rodriguez at the dish. High fly ball to right center. It is high. It is far. It is gone. How 'bout dem apples? Mmm, they taste good.
As crappy as it was to see the Yankees relinquish another lead to the Sox, it was great to see them finally battle back and stick it to the Sox when they had their best pitchers going for them. Cano absolutely crushed Okajima's delivery. On a normal day that ball is long gone. That was a shot! The offense with the exception of Jeter and Damon has looked pretty sharp. I'd like to think the page has been turned, but I've thought that before. Cano is heating up. Melky is getting warm now that he's getting regular PAs. Abreu had a great series. Posada is a hitting machine. We're finally seeing several guys hit at the same time. The wins are going to start piling up.
Perhaps the best part of the game was watching vintage Mariano Rivera totally shut down the Sox best hitters. The ending to this game couldn't have gone any better. The 9th inning of last night's game could be the game we look back on as the point things changed. I'm extremely encouraged by what we saw. I don't want to jump the gun and assume everything is Kool and the gang (or as bowlajello and I like to say Kool and the MoFos. Though we don't say mofos). The Yanks have shown signs of greatness before, but they always take 2 steps back. This time it feels different. Am I right?
I was ready to write a huge tirade against Bobby Abreu, but he redeemed himself with that catch. His defense until that point was horrendous in the series. I put the loss in game 2 on him for misplaying Ortiz's leadoff flyball. His blunder last night in the bottom of the 5th turned the game around. Thankfully, he came through in the clutch and Cano and A-Rod bailed him out. Shore up that D Bobby!
Finally, I want to let everyone know about one of my pet peeves. It's something that annoys the living bejeezus out of me. It's so annoying when people talk on their cell phones and waive to the camera when they know they're in the shot. Come on people. Don't be that guy. Bad form. Bad form.
And the "Where is Roger" chant? That could be one of the dumbest chants ever. The Fenway Faithful are so creative.
J

0 comments: